so that… so what?
One of my biggest frustrations on a project is when we have stories that capture a solution rather than a goal. Often this leads to long conversations with the business to drive out exactly what it is that should be built and hinders the creativity of the development team in finding the best solution for the problem. I’ve spent a lot of time over the last year and half thinking about this and trying out a solution to the problem and now after much encouragement from Mike & David I am finally blogging about it. This isn’t meant to be a silver bullet solution, but I hope it provokes some discussion and you find it interesting.
A few of us got talking while doing an inception early in 2009 that the ‘so that’ statement was often either repeating the requirement, was too general or was left off completely when capturing stories. This meant that we were missing the true goal of the business and lead to problems with scope and misunderstandings of what a story truly meant once we got into delivery.
Using an example of changing channels on a tv with a remote control, let’s look at some of the poorly written headlines you could have…
Headlines which repeat the requirement as the business value tend to be very difficult to prioritise because we don’t understand the benefit that they provide to the user.
As a viewer I want to change channels on the tv with my remote so that the I can use the remote to change channels.
Headlines which are vague cause debate over alternative solutions that may or may not solve the problem. Is using the remote really necessary to watch different channels?
As a viewer I want to change channels on the tv with my remote so that I can watch different channels.
Finally, in really bad cases you end up with no business value at all which are both difficult to identify alternative solutions for and to prioritise:
As a viewer I want to change channels on the tv with my remote control.
Of course there are always the times when a headline captures the true value of what the business is trying to achieve:
As a viewer I want to change channels on the tv with my remote control so that I can watch different channels without needing to be in reach of the television.
This story can be easily prioritised against other stories and alternative solutions identified, but there are still problems. The headline ends up being quite long winded and you may need to read it two or three times to grasp what we are aiming to achieve.
We played around with the idea of switching the so that and the I want but weren’t happy because it was very awkward when reading it. We got busy with the inception and the pressures of delivery overtook.
My next project was centered around helping the client learn to write good stories and develop their agile process. I had lots of time to think about what goes into a story and what is most important. My favourite question came back… how do we ensure that the true goal of the business is the most important thing captured in a headline. I came up with a potential solution, but didn’t teach it at the time because I hadn’t tried it myself. I’ve now used it successfully on my current client for almost a year and found that it has accomplished what I wanted and more.
The format that I use is:
As a (role) I want (business value) by (method/requirement)
This forces the writer to capture the value and be specific with what what the story is aiming to achieve. At first I found it quite challenging, but soon realised that the difficulty wasn’t because of the format, but that it was forcing me to have headlines which clearly stated the goal the business was trying to achieve. I wasn’t allowed to wimp out! The feedback that I have received from the developers on the team has been very positive and it has helped to ensure a common understanding with the business.Our remote control example now reads:
As a viewer I want to change channels without being in reach of the tv by using my remote control.
This states the same benefit to the viewer and solution as the ‘good’ headline above, but in a much clearer and natural statement. We can prioritise it easily and the team has the ability to think of alternative solutions. It also makes it very difficult to run into the ‘bad’ headlines from above.
Once I started using the format, I realised there was another big advantage. The business value is attached to the strongest words of the statement (‘I want’) and the method of delivering the business value is attached to the weaker word (‘By’). In the traditional I want/so that format it is the other way around. This makes a big difference in the conversations with the business when an alternative solution has been identified, but that is for a different post…